A Really Right Stuff ballhead is the best choice for all general photography, and will give you fast and accurate control and solid support of your camera or lens. Aiming and horizon leveling can be accomplished as one instinctive motion, and rigid lockup takes just a quick twist of one control. As a result, our ballheads are faster to use and inherently more stable than 3-axis “pan-tilt" tripod heads. Since the ballhead profile is smaller and lacks the protruding handles, they are also much easier to carry and pack.
The BH-55 is the culmination of years of iterative development based on first-hand experience and abundant input from seasoned professionals and enthusiasts. Our goal was to build the perfect general-purpose ballhead. Our premise was that aesthetics needn't have to play second fiddle to functionality, that operation should be intuitive and predictable, and that your investment should be rewarded with years of satisfaction.
The BH-55 offers up to 45 degrees of tilt in all directions, and up to 90-degrees in the two drop-notches. The knurled main lock knob independently controls the tension of the main ball joint. The midsize knurled knob features independent control of the panning base, which features laser engraved degree markers every 2.5 degrees. The smaller spade knob works in concert with the main lock knob to set a minimum amount of resistance on the ball joint at all times, independent of the main lock knob being fully loosened or not.
Extensive field use has proven the utility of our innovative design. The BH-55 delivers solid performance in all weather and temperature ranges. Its low profile, precision control knobs, and rugged housing make our BH-55 the ballhead of choice for both seasoned professionals and enthusiastic amateurs.
Updates to revision C:
- Revision C is 6% lighter than its predecessor. The weight savings come with no sacrificing rigidity or lockup power and the BH-55 remains one of the lightest and shortest ballheads available.
- To improve ergonomics, revision C has been reduced in size by 4%. The outer contours of the body mimic the more updated BH-40 and BH-30, with a swept rear-end and minimized volume without sacrificing placement and spacing of the knobs.
- Improved lockup recomposition to aid in rapid movement of the ball when it is fully unlocked.
- Greatly improved control of drag setting, both ergonomically and mechanically. The drag knob has been changed from a deep-set knurled round knob to a high-profile spade-shaped design for easier turning. Revision C's drag knob has been tuned to have consistent and precise control of the drag set.
- No risk of drag knob lockup. The drag mechanism now has built-in limiters to prevent it from being over-tightened and locking up the ball.
- New ball sleeve timer. The internal ball sleeve timing has been improved to prevent possible misalignment or loosening.
- Designed to be compatible with the new ballhead dovetail (TH-DVTL-55). The old version mounted using a single flathead screw and could loosen from use. The new TH-55 DVTL mounts using an array of screws and is more secure.
- Improved, language-independent knob markings. All three knobs have up/down arrows to indicate ball lock, pan lock, and drag set.
Product Guarantee: All Really Right Stuff brand products are guaranteed to the original purchaser to be free of defects in materials or workmanship for five (5) years from the date of purchase. Product will be repaired or replaced at our option.